Life…much is said about it…its a gift, it’s a game, it’s beautiful, it’s an adventure. When we were kids, we learned while singing “row, row, row your boat” that “life is but a dream”. Another popular tune, “life is a highway” and I do see similarities. Or the eternal optimist, may spout, “life sucks and then you die”, I don’t care for that one so much, but I’ve had a few days where I was in that place. Life is but a breath and boy is that true, especially in the grand scheme of eternity. Good ol’ Forest Gump would say, it’s “like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get” and I’d agree with him as well. Lately, though, I’ve been thinkin’ about a life quote that isn’t quite as catchy or cute. How about, Life is Hard?! That’s right I said it, some times it’s just down right rough!!
I had one of those rough days recently, seems like your strolling along in life, plugging away and something comes along and smacks you upside the head! Ouch!! It’s hard, it’s tough, it doesn’t feel good and I don’t like it! I know I’m not the only one. Any of us, who have been given the gift of life experience it’s hardship from time to time. In just the last week, I can think of family, friends, co-workers that are dealing with the hard stuff of life.
- A friend completely overwhelmed with the many demands of a busy family life, she is a great mom and wife, but feels like there is never enough of her to go around and she’s tired and on the verge. Can any of you relate?
- A dear, sweet lady who has lost her husband and she continues to move through life, but some days the heartache and loneliness is debilitating.
- Several friends, battling disease or a diagnosis that is attacking their body and their emotional well-being and every day they fight, but some days they are just plain tired.
I think of these hardships and my problems seem to pale in comparison. Each of us no matter what our “hard” circumstances may be at the moment; can look around and find someone else whose “hard” seems a lot harder. These hardships seem to come out of left field sometimes, but really should come as no surprise, John 16:33, tell us “In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.”
When life throws us a curve ball that smacks us upside the head, what do we do? How do you handle it? I can tell you, that I am still learning. I wish I could say that the struggles of life never threw me for a loop, that my stride never missed a beat, but I’d be lying. Just this last week, life whammied me and I prayed, I cried, I spent some time feeling a bit down and discouraged, I prayed, I cried and I reminded myself of the truth.
The truth is this:
- God is for me and He is for you.
- God will never leave me or forsake me and the same applies to you.
- God will not give me more than I can bear (even though He may push the envelope).
- These momentary troubles (no matter how long they may seem) will pass.
- Weeping may last for a while but joy is on the way.
- If I focus on others my momentary struggles diminish.
- I am not created to do life alone and neither are you, be a blessing to someone today.
- He works all things together (even the hard things) for our good.
So, let this imperfect lifer encourage you today…life is a gift, and a highway and maybe even a box of chocolates and yes, it is hard! BUT….take heart, Jesus has overcome the world! If you are on His team and fast forward to the end of the book, WE WIN!! So next time, your knocked upside the head, walk in truth my friend!
3 thoughts on “Life Is A Gift, A Highway And Maybe Even A Box Of Chocolates”
Wonderfully said and thanks for bringing it home and with the encouragement! Love your way of writing and sharing your heart. You rock! Hugs from afar and praying and looking forward to our next chat time. 🙂
well said, we do need reminding from time to time.
Just for fun, in the Bible App, I searched: “Life is”…
Life is in the blood
Life is more than food
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
I am the bread of life.
…give me life through Your Word
Truth is, we have a physical and spiritual life. Both lives are created and given by God, through Jesus Christ. Thank you for the reminder to honor God with our bodies, because we were bought with the Life that is in the blood. Life doesn’t seem like a game from this perspective. Now chocolate, that’s another matter…